Sunday, November 16, 2014

It's just China

The building I live in, here in a suburb of Hangzhou, is new.  The rooms were throughly construction-dust-filled when we first moved in, and the empty storefronts on the first floor of the building looked more at home in a Stephen King novel then the neon and people-filled picture that comes to mind with the mention of China.

Three weeks ago I noticed some people walking around the deserted area.  They seemed to be talking measurements and generally casing the area.  About three days later the first store, which is a steamed-bun chain-store, opened up.  There is now a convenience store, four restaurants which are officially open, a bar around the corner,  and a plethora of storefronts that are being worked on.

That's China.  Things are changing every day and sometimes I feel like I'm in the biggest game of catch-up, but mostly I feel like I'm part of a giant video game in which every day that I survive, with a smile on my face, is an accomplishment.  I know that a country which practices censorship and harsh recreational-drug enforcement is scary.  I understand that a lack of a Romanized alphabet is intimidating.  I empathize with the struggle of trying to find high-quality food, clothes, and services, especially in a system overrun with subpar products.

But, I am loving all of it.  The good, the bad, the ugly, and the babies who wee in our cafeteria during lunch.

Don't mind us

Putting up the sign

No comments:

Post a Comment